Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I Know She is Army Strong... But Am I?



For those of you who are unaware this is my "little" sister Danielle ^... i say "little" because, well even though I am almost two years older than she is, she is by far older than me in life experience. If you know me well, chances are you know my sister and I's constant struggle as kids to get along. We always fought as kids and even more so as teenagers. As I gotten older and moved out of the house to go to college, I realize just why we have never gotten along. She is the antonym of me. Every weakness of mine is her strength, and vise versa. My sister may have a temper with me, but I also know she would take a bullet for me without question. But this post is not to compplain about my sisters relationship with me, nor is it to talk about her qualities and faults... this post is for something more...


After recieving a call from my mom, I was informed that now a 17-year old may enlist in the army. My sister will be turning 17 on September 26th at which time she will be enlisting. At first I thought the concept was wonderful. My sister has never had dreams of being a teacher or a nurse... Danielle has too much passion and strength to do somthing so small. I always envisioned her as a cop, but the army... I had never thought of that before.
As I walked to class today I passed by the TV turned to CNN as a story of a group of soldiers driving over an explosive covered the screen. I thought about my little sister. I have faith that Danielle is Army Strong and Army Ready, but am I? My sister and I have never agreed on much, and she has the strength and courage to do what most people would never. I admire her so much for that... I wouldnt have the courage. To my sister: I'm so proud of you... Your courage is incredible and honorable. The United States will be a safer place because you are willing to lay down your life for the protection of it. I love you. And although I'm scared for you... and not at ease with the thought of you ever fighting in war... for once I will be the sister you want- encouraging you... supporting you, not the sister you need and the sister i have too often been trying to steer you away from trouble and telling you what is right and wrong. Im sorry for sometimes trying to be too much like your mom and not enough like your sister... Its only been because I love you and am trying to protect you and teach you.... but you've taught me more in your actions, than anything i could teach you with words.
She is army strong....

No comments: