Thursday, September 4, 2008

Opinions...

A persons' ideas and thoughts towards something. It is an assessment, judgment, or evaluation of something- this is the definition of an opinion. Throughout the course of my life i have never been one to shy away from expression of my opinion. As a woman, my opinion often has been viewed as unimportant or somewhat downplayed. I have taken it upon myself to be a voice for strong women to stand up for their equal place in society.

I was told upon entering the wide world of dating that during the course of a 1st, 2nd or 3rd date there are three things never to bring up in conversation: Religion, Politics, and Finances. I personally have made it a point during every date to bring up each and every topic for discussion. Is there something wrong with opinions or is it simply the fear of disagreement? I have always thought my opinion was my own, until that thought was questioned. Is my opinion really my own or is it formed and molded by my faith, and the people who surround me?

I guess no thought is ever completely original, but this topic made me question my own beliefs and opinions. Take the topic of abortion: my stance is pro-life, but why? I believe that every fetus is a life and no one, but God, should have that right to take a life; but how can I form an opinion on something I have never experienced? If I were in that situation, would that be the best choice for me? What about the father, should he have say in what the outcome will be? I guess part of growing up is understanding that its ok to question your beliefs and opinions, because when you ask yourself why you believe something, it forces you to truly find out why.

Too often we as people, and more so women, tend to forget that it is ok to step away from the herd and use the voice within. I want to encourage women to remember to use their voices. I want to die, not knowing that I agreed with everyone, but that I stood for what I believe in. That my voice, although not always agreed upon, was heard loud and clear, and perhaps made someone else think a little more about the things they believe in and stand for.

No comments: