Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Am Alive... Barely

So, Its been a little while since my last post, and in that amount of time ALOT has happened. I packed up my life and moved it to good 'ol Miami. I am now officially a student at Florida International University. Yay me (sarcasm). There are a few things I have learned in my short time here in Miami: 1) I am such a gringo 2) Drivers here are HORRIBLE!!!! Now i see why Jesse and Abel drive the way they do ;) (just kidding guys). 3) Dorms...well... suck.

I wasnt expceting the Ritz or anything, but... well this is what $2,500 for 6 weeks gets you in college. Hey... at least I have my own room.

People ask how it is with more freedom and such... its really about the same.. just more lonely.

Its only my first week, im trying to be positive so wish me luck with that.

I have seen in a very short amount of time God working in incredible ways in my life and my friends. Shannon Bower/ Kenneally found out this week that her health issues have been caused by severe migranes and not a stroke THANK GOD! My best to Shannon... Also, her husband Scott will be having surgery the 1st of July. Please pray for him as he goes through this ordeal.. he likes... no... loves coffee... so i would suggest a venti from starbucks instead of flowers if anyone is interested.

Being away has made me appreciate those i love. If you know me, Im extrememly independent. I dont like to ask people for help, in anything, but mostly monetarily. I hate asking for money or admitting that I need financial help. I have been kicked to my knees this week. First I not only recieved one ticket, but 5 from the wonderful FIU Campus Police. While moving in, I decided to park in the handicapped spot... you know how it says on the sign $250.00 fine.... well they enforced it. Yay me.

Its been a rough start, and I can see how it is so easy to walk away from God and church at this age. I didnt grow up in a christian home, nor was I a sheltered child, but I chose to cut myself off from that "world" as much as possible. But God has me here for a reason, and throughout this week... I've learned that when Life kicks you to your knees, your already in a perfect position to pray.

Pray... Pray Hard... Pray Faithfully... and Let God do the Rest... Until next time.. love you all

Hasta

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it takes a kick, punch or when you are at your lowest to find Him or to be closer to Him or to remember Him. I am proud of you for seeing that now instead of falling to that low point before remembering God. He is always with you, and We are with you too! I know it is hard to ask for help, but sometimes you just got to ask! God wants us to ask Him. He also wants us to be there for one another. So my friend, how can we be there for you, if you don't ask?! And, take a break, breath, take five minutes, and I think God reminded you something with that ticket. Short cuts never PAY OFF.

Jenn Garcia said...

Ashley- sorry you had a tough week! You're not THAT far away from home though, don't be afraid to take the trip up here when you need to.
It'll get much better, or at least keep you busier, once school starts. Maybe we can grab dinner in your neck of the woods one night before we leave?
LOVE YA! See you Sunday....don't forget to set your alarm. =)

Jesse Acosta said...

we already talked about this on sat.. but just ask if needed...

and yes it is much easier to fall away from God at this age and in college on your own.. But remember he brought you to him for a reason...

Jennifer Williams said...

Aww girlie I can only imagine... But God put you there for such a time as this (Read Esther). Be strong and when the burden gets heavy count on God and your brother and sisters in Christ to help get you through. THanks for sharing your heart. Love you!